EOI’s now open to Independent Theatre Producers, Artists and Companies around Australia
Critical Stages is launching its first annual call-out to artists looking to tour around Australia, and especially to regional Australia. Thanks to support from the Australia Council and Playing Australia’s National Touring Status from 2018-2020, Critical Stages is able to tour up to four shows nationally each year. Our support from Create NSW allows us to tour two further works by NSW based artists each year to community venues around NSW.
Here’s what we are looking for in touring productions:
- Our focus is on contemporary theatre and predominantly text-based theatre, music theatre or cabaret.
- Artists can be based anywhere in Australia. We are particularly interested in work from regionally-based artists.
- There are no restrictions as to where or when the work was first performed, although please bear in mind we are looking for work that is relevant and will have a rationale for touring in late 2018, 2019 or 2020.
- It must be a work of outstanding quality, in all areas especially in terms of performances, writing and direction.
- It must have received strong critical and/or audience acclaim.
- If the work has already premiered you must have strong production imagery, video footage suitable for promotion on social media and local television and strong reviews. Vox pops of audience reactions are ideal.
- We preference new Australian work. This is not exclusive, but if it is an international work there must be a good reason as to why the work is relevant to Australian audiences, and especially regional Australian audiences.
- We are particularly keen to support works from First Nations writers, performers and producers and those of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds.
- We are interested in work that is innovative and original in content or form, and that advances the form of theatre.
- We are interested in work that has a strong and considered approach to community engagement – ie how are you going to engage a regional audience in this work? Are there original ways that you can interact with audiences around the themes of the production, offer Q and A’s or masterclasses, use local artists in your work or more. Are you interested in any form of residency in regional Australia, involving local communities in the development of a new work while you are on the road?
Please consider all these questions, when you are completing the short EOI here. Submissions are due by Friday 23rd June 2017.
Chris Bendall, CEO
Melanie Carolan, Creative Producer
HOT DESK OPPORTUNITY
Do you need working space? Are you a NSW based emerging producer or theatre maker? Interested in a Hot Desk at our office at The Arts Exchange in the Rocks? Contact us now at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more!